1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DEV BLOG Our New Store System

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Fluxty, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Fluxty

Fluxty Director
    The Creator Head Admin ELITE Sub

If you're interested in learning about our new store system, here's the post to do it! But strap in, it's a long one.

On the macro scale, our current microtransaction system is fairly standard to Minecraft. Offer big, big, and bigger ranks alongside an assortment of smaller stuff. However, as we've come up and down over the years, we've continually had to push bigger and bigger to scale up, and it's really resulted in a lot of issues.

While overhauling our system, there have been some concerns from many of you OGs out there about what's going to happen to the stuff you've acquired over the years. If that's you, this post is for you. Things are definitely changing, but you're not being abandoned.

GG's goal with microtransactions are to provide non-p2w items which will allow us to afford, and grow, our operation. I find pay 2 win servers to be, by their nature, glorified bidding wars where the person with the biggest wallet wins. It doesn't help that Minecraft is deeply over-saturated with these kinds of servers.

In contrast, an anti-pay-2-win system does not have this concern. We can focus on making real, substantive game play that can be enjoyed on its own merits. Likewise, this is why most of the biggest games to ever exist, like League of Legends and Fortnite follow anti-p2w.

If anti-p2w is so great, why don't more SkyBlock and Prison servers do it? Well, I think it's just a lot easier (and more tempting) for server owners to go p2w. Offer up an OP item on the store for an insane price and invest the profits in ads so you get more players who do the same. There is very little concern about making a game that's actually good. In fact, a lot of people who try to go the non-p2w route end up not making enough money to pay their bills, and fail to last.

But we know from all the biggest successes in the gaming world that when non-p2w is done right, you get something really meaningful and lasting. And that has always been my ambition for GGMC.

With that said, let's dive right in to the changes we must make in order to help us chase this dream:

Pitfalls of the Old System
    Unfortunately, our old store system had tons of issues that were contributing to making our server unsustainable for the future.

Tags. I think chat cosmetics are some of the best non-p2w items for a Minecraft server. However, I also think we overdid it. In order to keep providing new purchasable content, we released over 400 different tags. We began outfitting our ranks with the ability to wear multiple tags, to the point where people unfamiliar with our chat could barely read it.

Not only was this a problem for new player experience, but with the abundance of tags, it made new tags a lot less interesting. We kept having to go crazier with our tags, and those eventually became boring too. There's a better way to do this. There's even a better way to have a BUNCH of tags while still keeping them interesting. But to implement our solution means scrapping the old tags system and starting over. And to do that, it means finding a way to properly compensate all of you who bought tags in the past. More on that later in the post.

Ranks. Our later stage ranks had some pretty big problems for the network. Supreme + Senpai made key all, pvp events, and dparties an inflationary disaster. If enough rank holders grouped up, they could spam the server with so much free stuff it was basically a duping party.

There is no doubt these perks were very large contributors to the run-away economy effect. Without these kinds of perks, we will still surely face issues, but we won't have to worry about these variables getting in the way of real problem solving. It also means we can make dparties and pvp events significantly better.

Furthermore, ranks in the old system got very expensive due to the fact that they were network-wide. If you wanted a rank exclusively for SkyBlock Wild, you'd have to pay an extra premium because whether you like it or not, it also applied to Prison and all the other SkyBlocks, present and future. Combined with the fact that we have to pay our bills, this also created a system where it was more advantageous to focus on NEW players who haven't bought a rank yet rather than current players who've already got everything.

At the end of the day, we are one of the first networks to really make non-p2w SkyBlock work., and doing so for nearly 4 years put us in completely uncharted territory. We made some mistakes; we had to think faster, bigger, and sometimes go beyond our means. But with these mistakes comes experience; we now know a handful of things NOT to do when it comes to a non-p2w system. :p

About RC
    Another thing those games I mentioned (League and Fortnite) do is utilize a virtual currency for transactions. Minecraft's Better Together does this too, and now, even the famous minigame server Hypixel has a VC.

The case for virtual currencies is simple: they're pretty convenient. Minecraft servers rely on third party webstores to service our transactions. Tradtionally, this means you have to leave the server and go through the process of filling out your payment info every single time you want to buy something. With RC, you'll be able to buy things without leaving the server. It also makes bulk purchases possible. If something new comes out, maybe you already have enough RC in your account to purchase it without having to take a trip to the store.

Furthermore, using a virtual currency like RC will allow us to give the currency as rewards for various things on the server, which gives you guys infinitely more flexibility in what you can buy with your freebies. Not to mention how much it will help with those IRL deals once sending is a thing ;)

Compensation Plan
    After think tanking countless options, I think I've settled on a pretty neat solution for current rank/tag holders.

The first, important thing to note, is that this new system is really only in effect on two of our servers, SB Spring and Prison MMO. You'll still have access to all of your stuff, just the way it is, everywhere else (it will probably be quite a long time before we phase out that system, IF we phase out that system.)

Ranks - Since ranks in the new system are per-server rather than network wide (see pitfalls of the old system), they will be much cheaper while still including many of the same perks. At the current time, we only plan on having three ranks for each game mode, with the most "premium" option being roughly $60, aka the typical price of a new video game.

It's also currently planned for ranks to persist through resets, and even if they don't (like if we need to make a new one to better suit the post-reset version of the server), you'll get the new version of your rank for free. Additionally, thanks to having our own in-game store, ranks will now be automatically discounted if you already have some perks from it, such as individual chat colors.

To compensate all previous rank holders, I'm creating a dedicated gift card system for the store. Basically, if you were a previous rank holder, you'll have an RC gift card (dedicated to ranks) automatically loaded into your in-game account worth the FULL value of your rank (regardless of whether you got it from a voucher, on sale, or otherwise!). It will never expire, so use it whenever you like, on as many servers as you like, until it runs out!

Special Cases:
    • Patrons will be transitioned automatically and receive their Patron tag. We can talk about perks in the new #patron Discord channel :)
    • Players who achieved the very first Legends tag in our original Prison will retain their tag, and it remains exclusive to them.
    • If you had vKredGod, you will have it in the new system. vKredGod will still be possible to obtain.

Tags - Since it's very important that we don't create too many tags too fast in the new system, all old tags must go. However, I think I've come up with something more interesting than a bunch of tags you can't wear at the same time!

Depending on how many unique tags you held in the old system, you'll receive an exclusive achievement tag that will not be obtainable any other way in the new system.

10+ Unique Tags in the old system: BIG TEN
    [​IMG]

50+ 5050
    [​IMG]

100+ Perfect []
    [​IMG]

200+ [Legacy200]
    [​IMG]

350+ || The Collector ||
    [​IMG]

Note: Duplicate (non-unique) tags count as 0.5 towards your total.

You'll receive every tag that you meet the requirements for. So, if you've managed to make a massive 350+ tag collection, you'll get all 5 of these :)

It's time to get excited about the new system. If you're an OG, don't worry. With the unobtainable stuff you'll be getting, you'll be flexing harder than ever. I expect to have the new ranks with the ranks & tags compensation system done by next Friday, April 10th. Thank you everyone!

Purqs likes this.
  2. Buster

Buster Well-Known Member
    Supreme

ok

Fluxty likes this.
  3. Moonely

Moonely Well-Known Member
    ELITE

So, according to this post, whatever rank you had, it will be replaced with in-store credit?

Because I have 2 situation:
    -1 account is bought Senpai
    -1 account is voucher Supreme

So do we get RC loaded on both accounts? or is it just one that bought Senpai

4. Fluxty

Fluxty Director

Yep! Both accounts will receive credit. Just note that the RC will be for replacing your rank with new ones. We can't have the system being flooded with vote parties :p

It doesn't matter how you obtained the rank, if your account has the rank, you get the credit for it. It only takes your highest rank into consideration (and any duplicates of the rank you may have bought or had bought for you)

5. Rafail1911

Rafail1911 Well-Known Member
    Supreme VIP

Interesting and exciting at the same time. :D

6. Moonely

Moonely Well-Known Member
    ELITE

Alrightie! Sounds fun! More tempted to come back now :p is been a while

7. Floydiz

Floydiz Well-Known Member
    Supreme VIP

So do we get the rc from all of our accounts? Because I have Senpai, supreme, and I think one with vip. And do we receive credit for tags too? Or did I just overlook it, because I have spent more money on tags than I want to admit.

8. Fluxty

Fluxty Director

Each account gets its own RC gift card loaded onto it. It's non-transferable just like the rank and can be used to buy ranks of your choosing. For tags there isn't an RC credit but rather they will be consolidated into otherwise unobtainable achievement tags based on how many you collected in the old system. You can see which tag(s) your account will be eligible for near the end of the post. Hope that clears things up!

9. djgunner44

djgunner44 Active Member
    Supreme

damn been gone for a while now a lot of new updates have happened I see. Might come back or like I do hop on for a bit say hey / etc then hop off.

10. stealthymass

stealthymass Active Member

So what if on one account you buy each rank going up. Will you get the RC from all the ranks you bought? (This is on one account)

11. stealthymass

stealthymass Active Member

I bought mvp then elite then supreme then senpai, do i get rc for all of them?